- Common name(s): Dianthus,Cheddar pinks.
- Flower colours: White,Bright white,Red,Pink,Rani,Red-White,Pink-Redwhite-Pink.
- Bloom time: Flower blooming time April to November
- Max reachable height: 1 to 4 ft
- Difficulty to grow: Moderately easy
Planting and care
- Plant pinks in full sun, partial shade or anywhere they will receive at least 6 hours of sun.
- The plants need fertile, well-drained soil that is alkaline.
- Wait until the danger of frost has passed when planting dianthus and place them at the same level they were growing in the pots, with 12 to 18 inches between the plants.
- Do not mulch around them.
- Water them only at the base of the plant to keep the foliage dry and prevent mildew spotting.
Caring for Dianthus
- Dianthus is generally not susceptible to serious diseases, but may become infected with aphids or other insects.
- Inspect once per month for aphids and other pests.
- Treat with insecticidal soaps or through biological controls, such as beneficial predatory insects.
- Feed dianthus every other month with all-purpose liquid fertilizer.
- Do not water during rainy or wet seasons as the roots will need to dry between watering.
- Plant out in May, 4-6 plants/sq.metrer in sunny, half shade spot.